Formuler Z7+ - Dolby and DTS

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• Hello I’m new to this and hope I’m doing this right. Can anyone please tell me what the audio settings should be for 5.1 Dolby and DTS? I have a 5.1 soundbar with external speakers and subwoofer. I have a HDMI cable going from Formuler Z7+ to the 5.1 soundbar and HDMI cable from the soundbar to the TV?? I’m not very good at this stuff. Lol. But it’s not playing anything in 5.1 or DTS. Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Official Post

You can daisy-chain the hdmi as currently connected or use an optical cable to connect the audio to the soundbar separately. (HDMI goes direct to TV in this manner)

In either case, if you want the soundbar to receive and decode the 5.1 audio, you must change to Android Sound [lexicon]settings[/lexicon] as follows:
    Home > [lexicon]Settings[/lexicon] (gear icon) > Android [lexicon]Settings[/lexicon] > Sound > HDMI Output : Auto

The default setting is LPCM but your soundbar is expecting a RAW bitstream and that is why you're not hearing any sound when playing 5.1 audio.

@SAM please move this to the correct forum

Unsolicited PMs for support will be ignored.

Duplicate support requests to the forums and helpdesk will be ignored.

• Official Post

Moved and header renamed.

Billgor should also install DD and DTS audio codecs.

Download Addon Linker from our database, extract on fat32 usb stick and install trough file manager.
    Open Addon linker -> go to Addon Download -> chose audio_codec_pack.zip and install.
    After successful install (message), reboot/restart your box. Now you should have DD and DTS.

Addon Linker -> Addon Linker v1.01.00

• Hello thank you for the reply. Today I tried hooping up it with HDMI from Formuler to sound bar and HDMI from soundbar to TV. Still no DD? What are the correct android [lexicon]settings[/lexicon]? Can I even accomplish this with HDMI or do I need to use optical like you said? My current [lexicon]settings[/lexicon] are HDMI output-RAW, SPDIF-CLOSE, HBR output-RAW 5.1. And what would those [lexicon]settings[/lexicon] be with optical? Thank you very much again.

• Official Post

The question is where is HDMI placed on TV or Soundbar (LG 7V TV Soundbar have complete ports on soundbar), if no HDMI Port trough Soundbar then use optical way.

Possible [lexicon]settings[/lexicon] with optical after audio codec install:
    1. All on Auto (would start first with this)
    2. HDMI output-Auto, SPDIF-Raw, HBR output-Auto.

• Well an easy way is to connect hdmi to your tv and if your tv has optical connect it to sound bar so everything on tv plays through there I have it like this

• Hello you guys. Thanks again for the help. Right now I have hdmi going from box to soundbar and hdmi from soundbar to tv as my tv does not have optical. What would the [lexicon]settings[/lexicon] be then and couldn’t I put optical from box to bar and hdmi from bar to tv too? Where and how do I download CODECS? Do I have to do that? Thanks again so much and you guys take care.

• Official Post

Where and how do I download CODECS? Do I have to do that?

Yes you have to install if you want to have DD and DTS, see posting - Formuler Z7+ - Dolby and DTS

• hello,
    I have the same problem no dolby nor dts on the live and vod,
    box connect to tv in hdmi and optical connect tv to sondbar
    HDMI output-Auto, SPDIF-Raw, HBR output-Auto
    with the same iptv provider and the smart iptv app installs on my tv i have the dolby and dts
    I Download Addon Linker and install
    Open Addon linker -> go to Addon Download -> chose audio_codec_pack.zip and download, success download but I do not see a button to install then and reboot box but nothing changes
    I go back to addon linker and in the plugin download : error:descriptor does not exist!
    thanks
    edit : work in vod whith dts and dolby but not work in live tv FHD

Edited once, last by tkc ().

• Hi everyone, I am new user/owner of Z7+.
    I have configured and done as instructed above. My question is how to install audio_codec_pack.zip after download and restart. I have not seen any button or anything to install. Please reply in detail as I am not an expert and little know how of Android.
    In addition, will it solve the problem of fluctuated volume (too high or too low) when changing channels. I have a Vizio tv, it has volume leveling feature but it does not wok with or without Yamaha sound bar. Thanks.

Can someone reply please? :question_mark: :frowning_face:

Edited once, last by FanZ7+ ().

• Hi everyone, I am new user/owner of Z7+.
    I have configured and done as instructed above. My question is how to install audio_codec_pack.zip after download and restart. I have not seen any button or anything to install. Please reply in detail as I am not an expert and little know how of Android.
    In addition, will it solve the problem of fluctuated volume (too high or too low) when changing channels. I have a Vizio tv, it has volume leveling feature but it does not wok with or without Yamaha sound bar. Thanks.

Can someone reply please? :question_mark: :frowning_face:

I'm in the same situation as FanZ7. After a successful download, there shows no option to install. Does it download and install at the same time? IF so, I still have no DD. Another question I have is: Is this only for Kodi or TVonline as well?
    Thanks

• Hi I’m sorry I’m not very good at this at all. How exactly and where do i download the codecs for the Formuler Z7+ box? Like I said im not good st tech stuff to say the least. If you could please tell me exactly how I do this it would be very much appreciated. Thank you again.

• Hello again. I’m sorry I forgot to tell you that I’m not interested in getting DD/DTS from Kodi as I do t use it. I’m more interested in getting Dolby for other apps like IPTV, MTVO, Netflix , You Tube and a few others. Thank you again for the help and please take care!!!!!!

• Installing codecs

I installed codecs fine the other day and no problems, although the package installer keeps crashing every time i try to install an apk. Was ok the other day, will fully reset box in a day or so after so much testing. anyway...

1) Download the codecs file to your computer using a web browser (Addon Linker v1.01.00)

or easier method for novices:

1a) browse to the url above in chrome via the z7+ it will download it to you're Downloads folder on the internal storage. By doing this you don't have to mess about with usb/micro sd card and formatting correctly etc. If you choose this option skip straight to number 4).

2) now unzip the .rar file, differs depending on OS but generally right click and look for something along the lines of 'extract'/extract file, that will unzip the file. If done successfully you will see a new file called Addon Linker v1.01.00.apk.

3) this is where you have a few choices. You can enable SMB on your're z7+ so you can copy/share files from your computer to the z7+ without using a usb/miro sd or if you do not know what SMB is then just format a usb/micro sd card unless you already have done, now copy the Addon Linker v1.01.00.apk on the usb/micro sd card and insert into z7+

4) from home screen - Press the All apps icon to show all installed apps. Choose file browser - store (storage), locate the file Addon Linker v1.01.00.apk you copied to usb/micro sd card. Android names it drives in confusing ways so keep looking it will be there if you formatted usb/micro sd card properly.

5) now once you located the Addon Linker v1.01.00.apk in file browser, basically just navigate to the file to select it and press ok on remote control, at this point you will get a box with message saying ‘For security your TV is set to block installations of apps obtained from unknown sources’. Select Settings then select the slider to enable Unknown Sources (slider will turn from grey to blue. Then press back button on remote, now select the Addon Linker v1.01.00.apk again, press ok on remote and select Install. Codes should now install.

- because we are installing an .apk file (an apk file is basically an installation file bit like a .exe file when installing programs on windows and because it has not come from google play store we have to enable unknown sources. It's basically a security feature to stop good people installing malicious apps from outside google play store.

6) From home screen, select All apps icon, select the Addon Linker app, choose Addon Download tab, select audio_codec_pack.zip so a tick appears in box next to audio_codec_pack.zip then press red button on the remote control, the word Success should appear to the right, now you must reboot your device.

If you want to disable Unknown Sources after installing codec. The same process below can be used to also enable unknown sources.

Note: anytime you wish to install an apk that is not from the google play store. ie. from another android play store or somewhere on the internet, you must enable unknown sources. Just bare in mind that you should NEVER EVER install an app from outside google playstore unless you are sure it's trustworthy, just be careful you do not want to install a malicious app (apk) as some malicious apps can be very dangerous.

1) From home screen, select the cog icon (settings)
    2) Select Android
    3) Top right hand corner select the magnifying glass, type in unknown or unknown sources
    4) Select Unknown Sources and select the slider and it will turn from blue to grey. Unknown Sources is now disabled.

• Hello again. I’m sorry I forgot to tell you that I’m not interested in getting DD/DTS from Kodi as I do t use it. I’m more interested in getting Dolby for other apps like IPTV, MTVO, Netflix , You Tube and a few others. Thank you again for the help and please take care!!!!!!

Not sure but i believe Formuler would have to pay licensing fees to allow DD/DTS and other certain codes, i don't know but something cropped up like this about another android box i had and sent back about 2 year ago and people weren't happy as they removed support for DD/DTS but believe it was due to them not wanting to pay for a license or something.

• Thanks droidbug for the detailed instructions. I have done this three times but nothing changed. Every time I have to do a factory reset. How do we reboot the box, I just unplug the power and put power back, is this the right way? I have never received a security warning, is it strange?

I am using Yamaha sound bar which support DD/DTS with a Vizio 4k tv which has auto volume leveling (consistence volume) feature but it does not wok with or without sound bar. I have tried connecting the HDMI through soundbar and HDMI directly to tv and optical from tv to soundbar. Will this codec will also solve the problem of fluctuated volume (too high or too low) when changing channels.

• Thanks droidbug for the detailed instructions. I have done this three times but nothing changed. Every time I have to do a factory reset. How do we reboot the box, I just unplug the power and put power back, is this the right way? I have never received a security warning, is it strange?

I am using Yamaha sound bar which support DD/DTS with a Vizio 4k tv which has auto volume leveling (consistence volume) feature but it does not wok with or without sound bar. I have tried connecting the HDMI through soundbar and HDMI directly to tv and optical from tv to soundbar. Will this codec will also solve the problem of fluctuated volume (too high or too low) when changing channels.

All i do to reboot box is,

First you must go to home screen, not sure why and rather dumb but you have to. Just press the Home button (looks like a house) on the remote control. Now hold down the power button until a menu comes up, from there you can put in standby, power off or restart. You will need to install codecs, i am not sure but think they are for MX player or system wide, again i don't know.

Why do you have to factory reset box? i mean does it do something when trying to install codec? ie. freeze or something.

I do not own a soundbar but i did play around with one once but no experience with them but...

HDMI can pass both audio and video so no need for optical cable. The easiest and simplest setup i think is.

TV -- HDMI Cable -- Soundbar (if you're sound bar has no HDMI then you will need to use optical cable)

TV -- HDMI Cable -- Media Box

(if you have a HDMI ARC port on tv try that port for soundbar, could even try media box, some tvs understand ARC some don't, and manufacturers can implement it in there own way, usually it's more trouble than it's worth but does work for some who have issues)

Auto volume levelling i have on my tv, check the audio settings on the media box and via player apps themselves. ie. Kodi has settings to allow audio passthrough and auto volume levelling, the auto volume levelling on the tv could be conflicting with a setting on you're media box and or tv.

Also note the biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical, Dolby Digital and DTS however are supported via optical cable. In terms of simplicity, HDMI also passes video signals. So if you want just a single cable between two devices, HDMI is your pick.

I am not sure if they codec will work or not, to be honest since fixing my issue with buffering i have not had time to do a factory reset and to test much else. I have videos with DTS audio and my samsung tv support DD, DTS and several others i think although they are just basic built in speaker so hard to tell the difference, If you want to really test things try Kodi, reason is there's so many settings in Kodi even for audio if anything you may find playing with setting in there may fix issue, if that the case look for that or a similar setting on the media box or tv. Youtube is another good place to search, if i am ever stuck it's first place i go as so many videos on there i always find what i'm looking for.

Sorry can't be of much more help simply as i'm not a audio buff so for me tv speakers always been fine and never had these kind setups or issues to worry about. Hopefully someone else has same or similar setup and could reply, unfortunately forum is not that busy.

• Thanks droidbug for the details, I really appreciate it. I reset the box just to make sure everything is normal again.
    Today, I did the installation again but same result. I am not an expert so I just kept my Z7+ as it came out of the box, no Kodi or other applications as I don't want to play with these applications without proper knowledge. I just want to use it as an iptv box using MTO for time being.

So, to get best result we should use two HDMI cables instead of one HDMI and one optical, correct me, if I am wrong.

As SAM mentioned above, he will make a how to, may be he will shed some more light on this topic to educate us. Thanks again.

• Thanks droidbug for the details, I really appreciate it. I reset the box just to make sure everything is normal again.
    Today, I did the installation again but same result. I am not an expert so I just kept my Z7+ as it came out of the box, no Kodi or other applications as I don't want to play with these applications without proper knowledge. I just want to use it as an iptv box using MTO for time being.

So, to get best result we should use two HDMI cables instead of one HDMI and one optical, correct me, if I am wrong.

As SAM mentioned above, he will make a how to, may be he will shed some more light on this topic to educate us. Thanks again.

ok.

Take a look at this picture as in idea of setup: (pretend the xbox or something in image is you're formuler box.

1.jpg

If you're sound bar has a HDMI output you can use a HDMI cable between the soundbar and TV instead of optical cable, as mentioned in previous post, If soundbar has HDMI output use that instead of the optical cable shown in image.

Also if you use HDMI cable from tv to the soundbar instead of an optical cable look on back of tv for a HDMI port that says (ARC) next to it and plug soundbar into that port, if not don't worry plug into whichever HDMI port you want, sometimes like on samsung they recommend what port to use for what device and states which HDMI ports are ARC compatible.

So simply put.. if you're soundbar has an HDMI output port use HDMI cable between soundbar and the tv. If you're soundbar does not have a HDMI output then you will use the Optical cable between tv and soundbar as shown in image.

To my knowledge that should work basically soundbar is connected to tv, then every device like formuler media box, maybe a game console or whatever else connect to tv via hdmi, that way all audio should come through to the soundbar, you will need to tell your tv to use soundbar for audio otherwise the tv will not pass the audio through to the soundbar. Basically you're tv is the centre a/v hub for the rest of you're devices to work and communicate depending on what devices they are.

Remember hdmi can carry both audio and video signal) unlike optical which only carries audio. Plus i mentioned benefits of using HDMI in previous post.

You will likely once setup like in image, go to from home screen on your formuler box: select cog icon - Android >> Sound and configure.

Now in regards to the not being able to install codecs i genuinely do not know what else you can do, if you factory reset box and software reset then there's no more you can do. At this point i would be inclined to contact your seller as you cannot do anymore than what you have done.