Z7+ and ZVOX Soundbase Remote

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• Brand new Z7+ user here and I noticed the remote for the Z7+ is controlling my ZVOX 350, which is basically a sound bar/shelf.

For example the keypad up on the Formuler Z7+ remote actually changes the surround sound modes (toggles between sd 1, sd 2, sd3). Then the left arrow toggles output leveling on and off. The EPG button lowers the volume. Other buttons do various things as well. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? I've contacted ZVOX and they suggested a few things but nothing worked. They said unfortunately it looks like the Z7+ remote is sending the same IR commands and there's no work around.

• This happens to my Vizio sound bar as well. Ditch the Formuler remote and get a Harmony universal remote. It will control the z7+ without interference. I worked with the Formuler and Harmony teams to get the z7+ profile implemented on Harmony's device database. The only remaining issue is getting dedicated PowerOn and PowerOff functions (as opposed to the PowerToggle), which I believe that Formuler has coming in a near future release.

• Thanks for the tip. Which model Harmony remote do you recommend? How does the Harmony work? Does it use little IR blasters for each device then the remote is RF?

• We have a touch screen one and then a regular one (Harmony Smart Control) -- we prefer the regular one. The touch screen is too easy to accidentally trigger if you grab it the wrong way or it gets stuck in the couch cushions. It's like $60, but it's well worth it if you are controlling a ton of devices. And if you have the sound bar interference, you really have no other choice. I'm not 100% sure on the technology, but it does come with IR blasters, but I never installed them... Everything works without them in my setup.

• The 650 is an older model (about 8 years old). Not 100% sure if it'll work without interference or not. My assumption was that the hub was the key everything working flawlessly. You could always give it a try and see what happens. I'd be curious to know because I might buy that model for some of our secondary TV's in the house.

• Hmm, I might try and pick up the 665 which is somewhat new. Came out Jan 2018. It's $50 and is a Best Buy exclusive.

I may have this wrong but it seems like the hub is mainly for controlling devices tucked away in a rack (via IR blasters), controlling devices with the app through your phone, tying into Alexa and Google Assistant. While cool, I don't really need all that. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub

• I picked up a Harmony 665 tonight from Best Buy, programmed it with all my devices. Unfortunately I'm getting the same issue. ZVOX must actually be using the exact same remote codes as the Z7+. Not sure what else I can do. Seems like the only options are a Harmony remote with an IR blaster so it only sends to those specific devices or return the Z7+ :frowning_face:

• Posted on some other forums and apparently the codes for the ZVOX and Z7+ are not identical but very similar yet the Formulator ZVOX still picks it up. Maybe an engineer can take a look at this?

The codes aren't identical, but only 2 bits are different (NEC1 0.245 versus 0.255). Most devices would reject the wrong codes due to such a difference, but the Z7+ apparently fails in this respect.

Edited once, last by scotty: Error ().

• Official Post

Posted on some other forums and apparently the codes for the ZVOX and Z7+ are not identical but very similar yet the Formulator still picks it up. Maybe an engineer can take a look at this?

Can you describe your issue again?

From your first post it sounds like the Formuler remote controls your soundbar, but this latest post has me confused.

What do you mean by

yet the Formulator still picks it up

?

Unsolicited PMs for support will be ignored.

Duplicate support requests to the forums and helpdesk will be ignored.

• Sorry, misspoke on that sentence. You are correct. Formuler Z7+ remote is controlling my soundbar. When I press keys on the Z7+ remote, it triggers settings on the ZVOX soundbar.

• Soundbar remote does not trigger any response from Z7+ therefore no LED response from the Z7+.

LED on the front of the Z7+ does flash in unison with the settings being changed on the soundbar with the Z7+ remote.

I can make a video if you want to see what is happening.

• Official Post

Soundbar remote does not trigger any response from Z7+ therefore no LED response from the Z7+.

LED on the front of the Z7+ does flash in unison with the settings being changed on the soundbar with the Z7+ remote.

I can make a video if you want to see what is happening.

If the above is true, then apparently the ZVOX device fails to reject the wrong IR codes.

Formuler RCU data:

• Scotty, try the Harmony Smart Control. Like I said, I had interference with the stock remote, and now I no longer get interference. It uses the hub, which my guess is the secret sauce to why it's working properly. Worst case, if it still doesn't work you can return it!

• I just returned the Harmony 665. I think you're right. It's weird that you aren't using the IR blaster and you're not getting interference. I posted in AVS Forums and the guys there are saying the same thing about getting a Harmony with the hub (Ultimate, Elite etc) but put the Z7+ on a separate shelf with the Harmony IR blaster in front of it. The Harmony remote will talk to the hub and only send the command to the IR blaster.

From Logitech:

The Harmony Companion and Harmony Smart Control remotes do not have IR emitters and rely on the hub and IR mini blaster(s) for all IR control.

If that's the case then the hub is sending out IR to all your devices if you don't have the IR blasters setup and nothing is coming from the remote. What's your positioning of your hub in relation to the soundbar and Z7+?

• Official Post

I just returned the Harmony 665. I think you're right. It's weird that you aren't using the IR blaster and you're not getting interference. I posted in AVS Forums and the guys there are saying the same thing about getting a Harmony with the hub (Ultimate, Elite etc) but put the Z7+ on a separate shelf with the Harmony IR blaster in front of it. The Harmony remote will talk to the hub and only send the command to the IR blaster.

From Logitech:

If that's the case then the hub is sending out IR to all your devices if you don't have the IR blasters setup and nothing is coming from the remote. What's your positioning of your hub in relation to the soundbar and Z7+?

Hi,

The engineers provided me with information that can possibly help you.

Formuler devices are programmed to respond to 2 sets of NEC "Custom Codes"

The Custom code programmed in your Formuler remote is "00FF"

The alternate code you can use is "02F9"

Using 02F9 as the custom code in the Harmony remote will make sure the signal is not picked up by your soundbar when the signal is blasted out.

• Unfortunately I returned the Logitech Harmony 665 IR remote since it was presenting the same issue.

Is there anyway to reprogram the Z7+ remote so it uses the 2nd set of codes?

Thank you for asking the engineers about this issue.