WiFi Randomly Disconnecting and giving "!" on current network

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• On latest Firmware that was released in July. I connect via my WiFi connection, usually the 5g but this issue happens on both. I have noticed that randomly the WiFi disconnects by itself. Every other device in the house still remains connected to WiFi. If I check my WiFi connection at the bottom of the launcher on the Z8, it shows it's connected to my network but instead of the strength, it shows the wifi signal with an "!" point over it. I then either have to turn off WiFi + back on or restart the Z8 entirely. I originally thought it was my VPN causing the issue, but happens when VPN is not connected. Just curious if anyone has experience this issue. Or if this sounds like it may be something wonky with the WiFi on my device itself. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Official Post

This happens after box restart, see picture.

1260-wifi-jpg

When the box get trough dhcp internal ip and internet from router, then 2 changes to 3. Sometimes it is quick and sometimes it need 1-2 Minutes.

Did you try to give z8 static ip, in box and router?

• Yeah picture 2 is exactly what's happening, however the box isn't restarting, I will be watching something on MOTV2 or Youtube + it just disconnects. After 5 minutes it doesn't appear to reconnect back to Wi-Fi, I have to do it manually. However, no, I have not tried static IP! I definitely will, thank you very much!

• 175n No, I am in the States. Earlier before I attempted static IP, I reset to factory settings .. after reset it still has the issue when connecting to the 5g WiFi network, but has been running strong on the normal 2.4 network for about an hour now. I am going to continue testing out on the 2.4 + see if it still has issues. I do have an option to hard connect, as well I still try the static IP if it continues. Thanks for the reply.

• Worked flawlessly 3 straight hours on normal Wi-Fi connection. Set up a Static IP connected to 5g network + within 15 minutes I was receiving the same "!" over the WiFi symbol. Restarting allowed it to work for awhile longer before returning the "!" .. switched back to normal 2.4 WiFi using DHCP + so far so good ... I am not sure at this point haha

• Official Post

175n No, I am in the States. Ohio to be exact. Earlier before I attempted static IP, I reset to factory settings .. after reset it still has the issue when connecting to the 5g WiFi network, but has been running strong on the normal 2.4 network for about an hour now. I am going to continue testing out on the 2.4 + see if it still has issues. I do have an option to hard connect, as well I still try the static IP if it continues. Thanks for the reply.

Are you using an ISP-supplied Telus modem/router by any chance?

• Official Post

I believe I have since i've experienced the issue, but I will definitely give it another go here in a few minutes + see if it resolves it, thanks pistons32 :smiling_face: + 175n modem/router Brand: Arris; Model: DG2470A

If you are certain your 2.4G and 5.8G WiFi SSIDs are separated and unique, I would recommend logging into the router to check if you can disable IPv6.

If that doesn't work, buy a long LAN cable and connect with Ethernet to see if the same symptoms persist. If they do, you may need a VPN.

• 175n I will check to see if that is an option to disable the IPv6, but the SSIDs are the same.. one just has "5G" after it ... + I have been looking into an LAN cable to use as another option just to get a little bit quicker + more reliable connection, but the 2.4G has been still been working so far without issue. I also mentioned I have been using a VPN (Mullvad) but issue persists only on 5G with VPN connected or disconnected. Thanks for all help so far

• Official Post

2.4 and 5G SSID`s should be separated, give them different names.

• SAM I will go ahead + change them so they are separated. After logging into router + disabling IPv6, I still received the "!"; however, after you mentioned the VPN again, I did some digging in my VPN settings, there was an option to only allow traffic through IPv4 + since I checked that everything has been working really smooth. I am not trying to jump the gun, but I think we may have it resolved! I am going to continue testing through tonight on 5G. If it doesnt disconnect I am going to attempt Static IP again tomorrow + will let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for all the help with this issue SAM, 175n, + pistons32.

• I ended up receiving the "!" again this morning. It appears its just the box that has the issues! All good though, I will continue to connect to the 2.4g + connect to LAN if need be. Thank you for all the suggestions + help over the last few days. I really appreciate it! :smiling_face: