Formuler z8 remote not working further than 10 feet away

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• I've had my z8 (ver 1.4.46 fully updated) for about 3 months now without any problems until 3 days ago. Starting 3 days ago, first thing in the morning my remote will only work inside of 10 feet (my z8 is in direct view of the remote). I also have a Logitech universal remote and an additional remote that came with my z8 from Amazon and all 3 remotes only work inside 10 feet. If I unplug the power source from the z8 and wait 5 minutes and plug it back in the remote will then work normally all day and evening from further distances, UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING when the problem starts all over again.

I've tried the I/R extender and that doesn't help

Yesterday I tried to do a backup and then factory reset and restore and that didn't work

I first had my z8 go to standby when powering off my TV for the evening and then tried to leave the z8 ON while I sleep and neither has helped

• And when it stops working/responding from the >10ft range, does this green led on the Z8 still blink when a rcu button is pressed and does it simply not do anything anymore, OR does the green led also not blink anymore when a remote control button is pressed?

• I’ve actually noticed this as well over the past couple of weeks. Originally thought it was just the batteries, but changing them made no discernible difference. Device is left in stand-by overnight.

It’s like the remote needs a while to warm up in the morning. For the first few minutes the remote has to be pointed straight at the Z8, within a few feet. And after a while it starts working as expected.

Weird.

• And when it stops working/responding from the >10ft range, does this green led on the Z8 still blink when a rcu button is pressed and does it simply not do anything anymore, OR does the green led also not blink anymore when a remote control button is pressed?

When it's not working the green led doesn't blink when i press the remote

• I’ve actually noticed this as well over the past couple of weeks. Originally thought it was just the batteries, but changing them made no discernible difference. Device is left in stand-by overnight.

It’s like the remote needs a while to warm up in the morning. For the first few minutes the remote has to be pointed straight at the Z8, within a few feet. And after a while it starts working as expected.

Weird.

I haven't noticed any "warming up" in my case but I'll look out for it when I try it tomorrow morning. For now, unplugging the box for 5 minutes and rebooting seems to fix the problem, until the next day

• To be honest: I don't know.

But I think the issue is "interesting" I've investigated a little outside-the-box... :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Infrared led light waves range from 300 GHz to 430 THz.

Radio Frequency waves range from 3 KHz (VLF) to 300 GHz (EHF).

This leads to the following question:

Is there perhaps a RadioFrequency or other IR device intererring with the remote? This could be anything from a (Web)cam with IR (nightvision) leds to a Satellite receiver/dish frequencies...

So worst-case there is a transmitter nearby at 300GHz, and your IR remote transmitting close to 300GHz also.

This would only explain the behaviour if the Z8 RCU IR LED is capable of switching wavelenghts OR the interfering RF/IR device is switching wavelenghts. AND then the worst case scenario, result of this frequency switching is interference and in all the other scenario's there is no interference.

• Thanks for the response DDD. I haven't added any new electronics to my house since this problem has started so I'd be surprised if anything was interfering with the signal. Also, since a 5 minute unplug of my z8 returns the remote back to working fine (at least for that day) makes me think there's a problem with the z8 box itself and not the remote or any outside signals. Any other ideas? I'm not looking forward to a lifetime of having to unplug the box first thing every morning, lol

Weird.

Cob, I kind of experienced what you have been noticing this morning. Remote only worked <10 feet to the box like usual (box was powered on all night, not on standby )and, instead of unplugging the box for 5 mins and waiting, I just waited and did nothing. after 5 mins or so the remote worked fine from it's normal distance. I didn't have the remote close to the box at all during this waiting period though. Maybe when I initially started pressing some buttons unsuccessfully at long range and then successfully at close range this started the "warming up" process? Very strange but I can live with it like this now