Picture in picture alternative

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• When MOL2 does not (yet) give you the PIP functionality that you wanted, consider this:

Make sure you meet ONE of the following the prerequisites first:

I) Your m3u provider supports multiple streams and supports VLC and MOL2. (because VLC does not support portals?)

II) The channels you want to watch simultaneously are seperated into multiple m3u providers.

III) You want to watch two prerecorded/locally stored video's.

IV) You want to watch one m3u stream and one prerecoreded/locally stored stream/channel.

Then you can do the following:

Watch one stream/video/recording in MOL2.

Watch another stream/video/recording in VLC.

Activate two streams/channels/video's:

1) Install and Start VLC (This "howto" was tested with version 3.1.7 (Z8 Firmware 1.4.46/MOL2 7.5.6))

2) Configure VLC to allow PIP on Z8:

VLC > Settings > Video > Background/PiP-modus > Play video's in mode picture-in-picture (Z8 might ask for App permission > Might need to activate mouse pointer on remote to be able to acknowledge/select that)

3) Add the m3u playlist

3a) VLC > Playlists

3b) VLC > Stream

4) Start the channel from the m3u list, wait for it to start playing the stream.

5) Press MENU on the RCU > Select "Pop-up player" > Wait for the video to play in the left bottom of the screen.

6) Press BACK on the RCU a few times until you are back in the Z8 homescreen.

7) Start MOL2

8 )Choose/play the 2nd channel you want to watch.

9) Done :thumbup:

Making the PiP box channel full screen again (this will also stop the active MOL2 channel!):

1) Activate the mouse pointer on RCU

2) Hover over the PiP box and press OK

3) Select the solid white square with the dotted square in the top right of the PiP box.

4) Deactivate the mouse pointer on RCU

Stopping the PiP mode:

3) Select the solid white cross top right of the PiP box.

Pausing/Unpause PiP channel:

3) Select the pause/play button in the middle of the PiP box

Known issue(s):

1) Sometimes the PiP box remains black and the audio does play.

a) This can go away automatically after waiting max 1 minute. (probably due to some directdraw or some video sync/keyframe bug in VLC or Android libs)

b) Otherwise you just have to go back to VLC and try to restart the stream/video.

Edited 5 times, last by ddd ().

• This a great, thank you so much ddd !!!

I was looking for option IV: watch a finished recording and meanwhile record an M3U stream. I am so happy that this can be done now.

For this I am recording in MOL and watching the pre-recorded stream in VLC. To do so there is no need to enter the M3U playlist in VLC.

BTW I noticed that in VLC > Settings > Extra settings > Interface > Android TV Interface : ✓ the box. That enables to control most or all with your remote control only. Added value is the nicer looks as well.

Shout out to ddd :thumbup:

• BTW I noticed that in VLC > Settings > Extra settings > Interface > Android TV Interface : ✓ the box. That enables to control most or all with your remote control only.

I did not include that because some of the VLC (advanced) settings are not available in that interface.

• Thanks for this interesting alternative.

2 things that concern me and which I have not been able to find out so far:

1. Is it possible to place the VLC window somewhere else? bottom left I find disturbing ... up in a corner would be better solved.

2. how do I switch off the sound only in the VLC window? either the sound runs in both windows or I can turn it off completely. But have not yet figured out how I can only deactivate it with VLC.

Thank you.

• 1. It is a limit in VLC. New feature can only be added by VLC devs. They have a community website where features can be requested.

2. Before you enable the VLC PiP window > When a stream is playing > Press "OK" > Use left arrow and select "text box icon" > Select "Audio track" > Select Disable

• Yes you can use Air Sync Remote in air mouse mode to place anywhere you want. I use this method for my ip cam.

You gota know when to hold em:thumbup: RIP Kenny.