Timeshift keeps eating the storage

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• My timeshift in mytv online is working using external storage through USB. The problem is that it keeps increasing the storage size needed in the SDD and instead of replacing existing files when they are not needed anymore it stops working after a few days of use and then I need to format the SSD. If the timeshift only works while I am on a specific channel, why doesn't it start saving on top of previous files instead of keeping adding up?

Is everyone also having this issue? I have to format my SSD every couple of days because of this.

• Official Post

No, not at all, ntfs is ok. Strange is only why MOL doesn`t delete the timeshift file after change to other channel. Could you test with some usb stick and check what timeshift do on this device?

• Official Post

My timeshift in mytv online is working using external storage through USB. The problem is that it keeps increasing the storage size needed in the SDD and instead of replacing existing files when they are not needed anymore it stops working after a few days of use and then I need to format the SSD. If the timeshift only works while I am on a specific channel, why doesn't it start saving on top of previous files instead of keeping adding up?

Is everyone also having this issue? I have to format my SSD every couple of days because of this.

This is not a known issue.

What is the formatted capacity of the SSD?

What is the reported size of the timeshift.ts file when it becomes too big?

What is the reported free space of the SDD when the timeshift file becomes too big?

• The SSD is around 120GB.

I will post here all the values once the storage drive is full again. It should only take a couple of days.

• No, not at all, ntfs is ok. Strange is only why MOL doesn`t delete the timeshift file after change to other channel. Could you test with some usb stick and check what timeshift do on this device?

It was happenning with the sd micro card I had before too.

• Official Post
  • how big a USB flash drive is recommended for timeshifting? i'm looking for a storage device (either USB 3 flash drive or SSD) and am trying to figure out

exactly what I need. also not sure how speedy the transfer rates should be on the device or if that even matters. if anyone has answers/suggestions please let me know.

• i record to Nas Driveand timeshift to 32Gb sandisk usb.

I was using usb for both i suppose it depends how much you record

I was thinking more for timeshift but who know I may start recording more as well. is it better to do recording and timeshifting on separate devices?

• Official Post

On NAS is understandable if the user use NAS for recordings and usb stick for timeshift, on all other devices connected for recording can the same device also be used for timeshift. Hdd`s , in spez. SSD`s and faster 3.0 usb sticks have power enough for future simultaneous recording from one channel, watching other and timeshift at once.

• So after 2 weeks, it happened again, the storage appears as full and timeshift stops working.

The formatted capacity is 111GB, the reported free space at the moment is only 28kb.

I cannot find any timeshift.ts file or any file inside the drive to be honest, only some folders.

I have changed the folder option to show me all hidden files including system protected ones but with the drive connected to my PC, I cannot find a single file inside any of the folders.

PIC

I will now try to format it using the software SAM advised and repeat the process to see if this solves the issue.

Any idea of what is going on here?

• Official Post

I will now try to format it using the software SAM advised and repeat the process to see if this solves the issue.

Please format like in how to and test then.

• Official Post

Thank you for the additional info.

Next time it happens, connect the disk to your PC and take a screenshot of the empty disk and another screenshot of the disk properties.

After that, click the "Tools" tab in the disk properties window and perform an error check and tell us your results.

After the error check is completed, check the contents of the disk to see if any "LOST" files were recovered.

• And here we are again on the same situation, I have formatted following Sam's advice but after 2 weeks the SSD is full again.

The scandisk found no errors and I do not have any lost file recovered on the drive. All folders shown in the print screen only have other folders inside but no files.

PIC

SSD scandisk log pic below, it may show something if you know what to look for:

PIC

• Official Post

Thanks for the additional info.

I wonder how the sandisk bloatware got back on to your device after you formatted it 🤔

autorun.inf

autorun.ico

Open the Disk Management utility on your PC and make sure the device is partitioned as one contiguous partition.

Modifying the partitions will result in a loss of data on the entire disk, so make sure you know what you are doing before proceeding.

After you ensure that there are no ghost partitions on your disk, re-format it as NTFS and try again please.

• Oh wait, the pics were taken before doing a new format, I will format the SSD and will post it here.