Kodi 18.6 - Audio (DD & DTS) Passthrough does not work

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• Hello,

I have a Formuler Z8 box and Kodi 18.6 installed.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to pass-through Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS.

My amplifier (Yamaha DSP-AX620) only shows LPCM.

When using the internal file manager player my amplifier is showing DD resp. DTS.

In the Android audio settings I enabled RAW for S/PDIF.

In the Kodi forum I read that a wrong implementation of the IEC61937 audio support could be the reason.

Could you please tell me if the used firmware supports IEC61937 audio support?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Pascal

• Formular boxes will never support firmware supports IEC61937 , as there based hilisilcons hi media chip set, and there bespoke implemention of different sound formats. If they where to fix it would rebuilding all there apps and os. The only way this could happen was it hi media and hisilicon firmware.

• You need to turn on "Expert" settings down in the left corner to be able to get all the options available.

Default is "standard" and then you don´t get to use all the settings available.

See the picture for explantion.

Hello,

thanks for the feedback.

Expert mode is activated, see picture below.

But DTS capable receiver is not shown although my receiver is able to decode this.

When I enable DD transcoding my receiver at least shows now DD.

But I guess when enabling transcoding the receiver does not decode the audio stream and DTS is also not working.

With the internal player there is no problem with the following setting.

• Formular boxes will never support firmware supports IEC61937 , as there based hilisilcons hi media chip set, and there bespoke implemention of different sound formats. If they where to fix it would rebuilding all there apps and os. The only way this could happen was it hi media and hisilicon firmware.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not understand why Formuler cannot update the firmware that everything is working.

Why is the internal player working without any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

• Formula cannot update the firmware unless the code is released and that the code is based on hi-media and hillison chip instruction Which only can be given by the chip manufacturers this case hillison,Nobody has been given this there have been other box manufacturers that have the same chipset and they all have the same issue and have all requested hillison

Fix this matter

• Formula cannot update the firmware unless the code is released and that the code is based on hi-media and hillison chip instruction Which only can be given by the chip manufacturers this case hillison,Nobody has been given this there have been other box manufacturers that have the same chipset and they all have the same issue and have all requested hillison

Fix this matter

Ok, I see.

So, we have to wait until a fix is delivered from chipset vendor.

Thanks in advance.

• Why do we need to update the firmware?

If it works with the internal mediaplayer and shows and plays the correct audioformat but not when we are using Kodi as a mediaplayer.

How is that a firmware problem?

It doesn´t magicly change the chip it using internaly depending on what player we are using, or?

That sounds unbelievable to me.

• The current firmware by hilison does not meet the android standards that are required for kodi. Formulars boxes are a bespoke version of android custom made to work android. Myonline was build Speficly to work on formulars bespoke version of android. Fixing the firmware would break lots of features which would mean having to rewrite the whole of the operating system and myonlinetv app. The only way is to wait for formular to release the next box that is built on a chipset That the chipset manufacturers meet and support the official version of android TV.

• The firmware is linux based, then android program up in that language. Oh until high media decide to release the code that will work on Linux Every manufacturer that uses this chips out will not be able to implement the firmware changes

• The current firmware by hilison does not meet the android standards that are required for kodi. Formulars boxes are a bespoke version of android custom made to work android. Myonline was build Speficly to work on formulars bespoke version of android. Fixing the firmware would break lots of features which would mean having to rewrite the whole of the operating system and myonlinetv app. The only way is to wait for formular to release the next box that is built on a chipset That the chipset manufacturers meet and support the official version of android TV.

Ah, now I understand :upside_down_face:

I didn´t think the whole way, sorry for that and thank you for clearing it out for me.

To bad that it isn´t "just" to let the audio passthrough on any device no matter what version you use of Android TV or chipset.

It doesn´t matter that much, I´ll keep using my Nvidia Shield Pro for my movies and series. But it sure would have been nice to be able to remove one item from the livingroom and just use one sort of mediaplayer.

But i guess the "one mediaplayer to rule them all" (LOTR analogy) isn´t available yet :winking_face: