Get 5.1 / 7.1 With SPDIF CABLE

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• Hello all,

I have a small problem, I have a Herman Kardon AVR151S amplifier and a Z8,

The connection is:

VIDEO :

Z8-HDMI-TV

His :

Z8-SPDIF-Amplifier

When I want to watch a movie on my VOD on *****, the sound is sent in Dolby 7.1, but my amplifier only detects 2.0, I looked at the old posts to try to find the solution but it didn't help,

I put the HDMI sound in RAW and the SPDIF in RAW the sound is still in 2.0,

I put AUTO in HDMI and RAW in SPDIF same concerns,

I put LPCM in HDMI and RAW in SPDIF same concerns,

I put LPCM in HDMI and LPCM in SPDIF same concerns,

Of course I restarted my Z8 every time

I don't know if it's a bug with my Z8,

When I switch to HDMI for sound and video (i.e. the connection is: Z8 --->HDMI(AUDIO+VIDEO)---> Amplifier ---> TV), I don't have this problem, my dolby detects 3/4 / 1.48 MHZ MULTI CH PCM,

But for practical reasons I would like to have the sound in SPDIF and the VIDEO connected directly to my TV directly.

If anyone could help me it would be awesome

Some people have told me to update the audio codecs on my Z8, but I don't see a topic on it, I don't know if it's possible

Many hks,

• 1. Go to Formuler Market (like nico posted), search for app "Audio optimizer", install and execute once, reboot the box at end.

2. Set HDMI sound to LPCM and SPDIF to RAW (for use with AV Receiver)

3. Try again with VOD

Btw. In future no provider name`s in postings. Please read Forum rules.

• Hello everyone,

Yes I had already installed "Audio optimizer"!

I tried your tips but it didn't change anything, By doing several tests I found the problem,

Maybe SAM you can take the information back to your team in a next update!

When the movie is from the source in 7.1, the Z8 does not transform the signal to 5.1 so that my SPDIF can accept the signal, (RAW or LCPM)

A film in Dolby 5.1 goes very well, but as soon as the signal is in 7.1 it is not possible the sound I receive is in 2.0,

The ideal is to make an option for user who switch to SPDIF to transform a signal from 7.1 to 5.1 ! (I don't know if technically it's possible).

I thought that the HDBR DEGRAD option could do it (I had put it in 5.1) but unfortunately, it didn't change anything!

Can we hope for a change in the next update ?!

• My test feedback:

Dolby 5.1 ok

DTS 5.1 ok

DTS 7.1 ok

EAC3 7.1 ok

True HD 7.1 no sound comes out, maybe because of the codecs ?

ACC 7.1 sound but in 2.0

ACC 5.1 sound but 2.0

So to summarize my z8 bug on truehd and ACC I imagine so it's a codec problem and not hardware, no?

• So to summarize my z8 bug on truehd and ACC I imagine so it's a codec problem and not hardware, no?

Please make difference between Bug and not available... The clean box have not all codecs, you get this only with installing external codecs like 3th app Audio Optimizer. True HD 7.1 and Atmos are like i know not included in Audio Optimizer app but RAW forwarding to AVR Receiver should work so the AV receiver can decode.

• Just a question what is the DEGRADE HDBR ?! it works for both HDMI and SPDIF or just HDMI ?!

HBR degrade Output works only if you set HDMI output to Auto or RAW, doesn`t affect SPDIF Output. So it is better to use HDMI if possible.

If HDMI output is set to Auto or RAW then you should also change in HBR Degrade Output to RAW 7.1 (supports 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA and TrueHD).

Here some external Article for better understanding HDMI vs Optical SPDIF.

HDMI vs. optical: Which digital-audio connection to use?

When hooking up an audio system or sound bar, you generally have to choose an HDMI or optical digital-audio connection. Find out which one is better and why.

When it comes time to connect your shiny new sound bar or AV receiver, your two main choices are HDMI or optical digital audio.

The simplest advice is to go with HDMI when you can. But if you can't it's not the end of the world.

Here are the pros and cons of each.

The basics

Both HDMI and optical pass digital audio from one device to another. Both are better than analog (the red and white cables). Both can pass multi-channel audio, like Dolby Digital. Both cables can be had pretty cheap.

The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical.

In terms of simplicity, HDMI also passes video signals. So if you want just a single cable between two devices, HDMI is your pick.

However...

Depending on your gear, you might not have the option for HDMI. Maybe you have an older receiver. Maybe you have everything connected to your TV, and you just want to get the audio out to a sound bar (and the only option is optical).

In that case, optical is fine. Don't sweat not being able to connect with HDMI. For most setups, the sound will be just as good with optical as with HDMI.

One complication is if you have a sound bar, like the Sonos Playbar or Vizio S4251w-B4, that benefits from a surround sound signal and you connect it to one of the many TVs that can't pass such a signal via its optical outputs. Neither of those sound bars have HDMI inputs anyway, so the best way to connect them is directly from the source to the bar via optical, skipping the TV. That, or get a new TV.

Better, a little...

Regardless of the gear you use, as mentioned there's also no way to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio with an optical connection. However, that's not a huge deal.

While there is a difference between Dolby Digital and those high-res lossless formats, the difference isn't as pronounced as you might expect. On a decent system, with decent speakers, you might notice that the high-res formats are a little more open, a little smoother sounding.

On lesser gear, it's a lot less likely you'll hear a difference. Most sound bars, for example, lack the fidelity to do anything with the additional resolution. Many don't accept those formats at all.

Bottom Line

Use HDMI when you can. The cables are cheap, and having just one wire simplifies setup. If you can't, optical is fine. If your gear doesn't have HDMI, it can't take advantage of the high-resolution audio formats from Blu-ray anyway (unless you connect with analog, and decode from your Blu-ray player). On the other hand Dolby Digital is surprisingly good, and unless you have decent gear, you probably won't hear much (if any) improvement with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA.

Article source: Cnet.com

• SAM

Added the Label Solved