Posts by BlindF123

I suggest you research the hardware, I was struggling to get good speeds on a Rosewill RNX-N300RT and only did 20Mbps on VPN out of the 100Mbps capable from this old hardware. I "upgraded" to a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 capable of 1000Mbps and got THE SAME slow VPN speeds. The problem is the chip that handles encryption. I upgraded again to a beast of a custom system in terms of necessary hardware, a PFSense firewall/router (it's an actual computer you turn into a router, AES-NI capable CPU for handling crypto, also a necessary CPU feature for future PFSense versions) and with this I can basically get my full 400/40Mbps I pay for my ISP through VPN. This setup isn't completely necessary but as seanns32 mentions above, the routers capable of it can get expensive, I did this with $93 (used desktop and a 4 LAN Gigabit card for my computers, and a whole lot of tinkering trying to learn how PFSense works. If you count the TP-Link Archer C7 as another expense, since the PFSense computer doesn't have WiFi itself, then it's basically like another $200 system in total.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Formuler Z7+ has a 100Mbps LAN port, no VPN I will see around 90Mbps on average, with the VPN app I can see that drop down to around 30-40Mbps. Not bad if that's all you need, but it might vary, maybe someone else can chime in with their results? With my PFSense setup I get the full speed the LAN port on the Z7+ is capable of.

Sure, it's pretty simple. Install OpenVPN for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/det…penvpn&hl=en_US

Download your prefered location's OpenVPN profile from PIA: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/openvpn-ios

Then you just open OpenVPN and select the third option to select the OpenVPN profile you downloaded above, it should then ask you for your PIA login and that's basically it, it will be visible under OpenVPN where you can turn it off an on. But as I said above when turning it off and on in my case I HAVE to skip selecting certificates or else it just crashes on me. Tell me if it's the same for you.

I was using the PIA app a few months ago fine, I think it was from the Play Store, but I had switched over to using the VPN on a router. Long story short, because of network setup changes I had to make for Emby, I have to put PIA back on the Z7+. But only came to find that it is now crashing as soon as I try to open PIA.

I tried updating it, Store said no update. I tried downloading the PIA app from PIAs site, same issue. I tried clearing data and cache for PIA, it opened to the login screen! But then I put my login and it crashes as soon as I hit Login and then goes back to crashing as soon as I try to open it after that. I have my Z7+ updated to the newest version.

Right now I am using OpenVPN, downloaded PIAs OpenVPN profiles located at the bottom of the downloads here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/download

Now, while this does work there is one step that makes it crash same as PIA unless I skip it, it's selecting a certificate. According to IPLeak I am protected by OpenVPN, so how important this certificate is I have no clue.

Hope this helps you and maybe they can get a fix out because I'm sometimes seeing the main home screen crashing too that others are posting about and as I said I'm on the newest update which was supposed to have fixed that.

Edit: Now that I say that I'm wondering if it's a pop up message PIA has that's causing it to crash, I think it asks for a confirmation that it's making network changes to get on the VPN upon logging in/connecting to the VPN. Might be the cause of the crash in both these apps seeing as I can skip the certificate selection on OpenVPN and it will continue to connecting to the VPN.

Have you tried disconnecting everything but HDMI and power from the box? I don't know what setting I had on my router that it wouldn't allow my box to boot, just stuck in a loop, by chance I disconnected the LAN and WIFI and the box booted up and from there I figured out what settings I had wrong.

Just wanted to mention it here for anyone searching, my Power button key is kinda flat or something so I quickly searched for a replacement universal remote with learning mode. I actually already had a URC-R6 which from what I read online is supposed to be pretty good but it could NOT learn 90% of the keys on the remote. I tried the Logitech Harmony 650 but while it did work it was too many bells and whistles I didn't need, all I needed on the TV side was a button to turn it on, volume on the TV (for Roku), and a Source/Input button. So I then found the Inteset 4-in-1 universal remote, it has a learning mode and can copy all the keys off the original Z7+, just took a second to find the learning mode in the instruction pamphlet and a few minutes to copy the keys over to it.

Nice work on the design!

Is there enough clearance for "fat" USB connectors/devices?

There should be, I've got a Logitech Unifying Receiver connected on one side and there looks to be enough space for any of my USB drives. For my SD card reader on the other hand there isn't quite enough space, so if it's that big then I might need to make some changes.

The OP wanted a clean solution with no sticky tape involved.

A mount that screws into the VESA mounting holes would sound like the best solution.

Maybe something like this?

https://pinshape.com/items/24333-3d…sa-200-tv-mount

I've uploaded my design to my Thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3037634 I hope whoever this helps will consider hitting that Tip Designer button on my Thingiverse. :grinning_squinting_face: And as I say on my page any suggestions or requests to make changes on can be done.

I could design a VESA mount to be 3d printed to hold this,

Edit: I instantly thought of VESA mounting it, but then I see that one on Amazon is just 3M taped to the back of the TV. What would be more convenient? With 3D printing I go for minimalist approach but functional.

To edit groups, like remove them? Going to have to do it manually and user your IPTV service through m3u. You can do that with Notepad++ or maybe a service like xtreme-editor (which I couldn't figure out). It's pretty easy with Notepad, you'll see like group-title="GroupIDon'tWant", usually one after the other and you can just highlight them and delete. Besides being able to remove or move groups around, you'll also be able to re organize the channel lists, they will be in the same order you see them in Notepad. A bit tedious but as long as your provider doesn't add/remove/change stuff around too often you shouldn't have to really change anything in the m3u once you have it the way you want it either.

No. This is a known feature request.

Support for compressed EPG formats will be introduced in the late August software update.

We are continually improving and extending the m3u functionality in MYTVOnline.

On a fast internet connection, the time required to download the uncompressed vs the compressed archive is negligible.

Also, the compressed archive is decompressed in the set before it can be parsed, so it takes up the same amount of storage regardless.

Ah, ok. Thank you for the info. So for the moment it's an easy fix atleast in my case, others might not have the same luck if their provider doesn't have an uncompressed file available somewhere.

I'm using m3u method to connect to my provider and their EPG link is supposed to be p2.xml.gz. I have been having no EGP for a week or 2, and today I find out on Reddit that others couldn't get their EPG loaded either. One person had a solution, simply to remove the gz off the link, and that worked. But that is an uncompressed EPG, so instead of the 22MB EPG in gz format I get the 78MB xml. So did the recent update break it being able to read a compressed EPG in gz format?

Anyone know how the links are served through MAG? I know for sure I buffer more on my Z7+ with my IPTV provider when using &format=ts, the little signal bar will actually show 0-1 line using ts. Once I change it to &format=m3u8 I will then get the full 3 bars. This is using MyTVOnline, so I'm thinking MAG also serves out the same &format=ts links with no option to change that. That's just my guess as to the buffering problem with MyTVOnline and using MAG vs ts/m3u8 links.

And also, there is definitely something going on between the router and the Z7+. Using DD-WRT on my router with VPN under OpenVPN Client would actually not allow my Z7+ to boot up, stuck on the starting circles, it was just a random thought that the router caused it and I disconnected the LAN cable and the Z7+ booted up fine again. Right now I'm using the VPN on a SECOND router still under DD-WRT but using the L2TP method instead of OpenVPN Client, and that has no problems and I get a very nice 90Mbps.

I'd imagine that really depends on your hardware. On my desktop I can get 400Mbps without VPN, 110Mbps with VPN (PIA program). On my Z7+ I get around 90Mbps on the WIFI without VPN, and around 45Mbps with VPN (PIA App). On the router if I run VPN (L2TP) through that I get around 140-190Mbps (Kind of random). But with it on the router that's what I'd have to share between 3-4 streaming devices, so not so great if not all of them need to be on VPN. If you've just got 1-2 devices streaming at a time and get good speed off the VPN through the router then I'd say that's the way to go, less work for the Z7. I hear if you want good constant VPN speed you're better off doing a PFSense build to run as a router with VPN.

+1 here, WI-FI adapter does about 40-45Mbps download and 40Mbps upload which is good enough, LAN port which should be better than that on the other hand is only giving me 25-30Mbps max download and my full 40Mbps upload, . I've tested the LAN on the same line I use on my desktop (desktop does 400Mbps) and it still only does 25Mbps.