Multiple connections

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• I'm a total noob here and I'm looking for some help. I did sign up for a 1 connection, 6 month subscription, but after a month I think that I might need a 2nd connection because I like to record programs while watching others.

I contacted the provider to see if another connection could be added, but was advised that changes to the plan could only be made within the first 7 days. So I'd have to get another subscription if I wanted another connection.

My questions are, if I'm recording using one portal, do I need to do anything to switch to the other portal in order to watch something else? What if I got another subscription with a different provider, would that change things?

Also, is it possible to watch something that's been recorded while also recording something that's already in progress?

• I contacted the provider to see if another connection could be added, but was advised that changes to the plan could only be made within the first 7 days. So I'd have to get another subscription if I wanted another connection.

My questions are, if I'm recording using one portal, do I need to do anything to switch to the other portal in order to watch something else? What if I got another subscription with a different provider, would that change things?

Please read this posting, it explains everything in this case -> RE: Record on 1 channel and watch another or using PiP

• OR you can try this scenario...... I don't know how many devices you have, but lets say you like your current provider, you can

1: Buy another sub and load that on another Formuler Device.

2: Connect a network drive and both devices setup to access it

3: On the least used device setup all of your recordings from there and allow that device to manage

4: You can then access the NAS Drive from either device and watch your shows

I have 3 GTV's in my house. I use my Master Bedroom GTV to record all shows I need to record. I have a Synology NAS Drive and each unit has access to the drive. Once you go into recordings on a GTV, they access the drive and I can watch the recording.

On a personal note, (like Sam Mentioned), you can have a provider with multiple connections, however, some providers feel strongly that multiple connections under one username and password causes more issues than its worth. Examples are freezing and buffering. Just my two cents!

• Just another followup here. Theoretically, if we got a second Z8 and had a subscription that had 3 or 4 connections, would you be able to record 2 different shows at the same time on the different boxes while still being able to watch something else?

• Just another followup here. Theoretically, if we got a second Z8 and had a subscription that had 3 or 4 connections, would you be able to record 2 different shows at the same time on the different boxes while still being able to watch something else?

to answer your concerns:

if you have one subscription with multiple connections

1. if using a single box you can record one channel and watch another but not record two channels at the same time.

(each task will take up one connection).

2. if using multiple unit you can determine the required connections base on the concurrent tasks per box.

example if you wish to record and watch a channel at the same time on both boxes, four connections are required.

alternative if you wish to use different subscriptions on each box then each subscription requires two connections.

3. only the z11 can have multiple subscriptions active at the same time on a single box.

• That is a really good argument to buy a Z11 series,instead of buying multiple Z8 boxes :winking_face:

• Z11 because it has MOL3 isn't that correct? Correct me if I am wrong, but it is not like the Z11 is superior technologically speaking.

no i wouldn't say it is superior however it may appeal to users base on the new software features.

in your case you could be very comfortable with your existing box and find ways to make it work for you in the best way possible.

• That is a really good argument to buy a Z11 series,instead of buying multiple Z8 boxes :winking_face:

I've tried using both Z11 Pro Max and Z10 Pro with the same subscription that I'm using now, and both I found had several issues which forced me to return them.

The Z11 would not record properly. Playback would constantly skip and stutter making it unwatchable. The Z10 did seem to record properly, but it would load the VOD.

This Z8 Pro has been the most consistent device in performance, and everything just seems to work on it.

• So I would like to get this setup to record on my older desktop computer with an attached HDD, but I am having serious issues trying to figure out how to get started. The PC is running Windows 10, but I have no idea what the Network Path would be, or how to find it. I've tried searching google but haven't come across anything that will work.

• Is the USB HDD needed for your older computer? Why not attach the HDD directly to the GTV? Trust me, it is an easier solution than trying to network a windows machine.

I have 2 different Z8 Pro's and want to have them using the same network so that I can watch from either box.

• Ahh, and I imagine, you are not running a NAS? I am not a big fan of networking through a windows laptop with external drives connected. Personally I have 3 GTV's which are networked to a Synology NAS. There is a setup tutorial in this forum. I would imagine, on a windows machine, you will have to activate home sharing and network sharing to get started and then you will have to establish an IP address for the computer and point it towards the external drive. There is probably a good reason why no one in the forum is responding, because most use a Network Drive in these cases.

• 1. use windows:

in properties

Select the Sharing tab.

Select Advanced Sharing.

In Advanced Sharing, select the Share this folder checkbox, and then select Permissions.

In Share Permissions, select Everyone.

2. you can google to see if there is free software to allow file sharing as samba or using the virtual nas with an internal drive on windows.

• Ahh, and I imagine, you are not running a NAS? I am not a big fan of networking through a windows laptop with external drives connected. Personally I have 3 GTV's which are networked to a Synology NAS. There is a setup tutorial in this forum. I would imagine, on a windows machine, you will have to activate home sharing and network sharing to get started and then you will have to establish an IP address for the computer and point it towards the external drive. There is probably a good reason why no one in the forum is responding, because most use a Network Drive in these cases.

I was hoping that there would be something easy that I'm missing, but I've pretty much tried everything without success. Not sure if I want to break down and get a NAS setup just yet, it's not cheap to get started from my understanding.

• I've tried so many things on the computer and putting in different shared addresses in the box that I can't even remember anymore. Don't worry, it seems like it'll be too much trouble and I've given up trying. Thanks anyways.

• Look into a Synology NAS DS220+ They are not cheap, but the NAS Drives are relatively inexpensive. A two Bay minimum is recommended because, one drive acts as backup protection. I have two 4TB Western Digital Red Plus Drives. The features beyond just using it to record are fantastic. iPhone storage, photo backup and access etc... You will be very happy.

• Look into a Synology NAS DS220+ They are not cheap, but the NAS Drives are relatively inexpensive. A two Bay minimum is recommended because, one drive acts as backup protection. I have two 4TB Western Digital Red Plus Drives. The features beyond just using it to record are fantastic. iPhone storage, photo backup and access etc... You will be very happy.

I have been looking into getting something, just not sure that I can afford it now. More important things going on right now. I'm sure that others can relate.

If I end up buying one, I'll probably reach out for advice on how to setup. Thanks

• Official Post

If I end up buying one, I'll probably reach out for advice on how to setup. Thanks

In that case you can use our article -> How to set Z8 and NAS for recording and timeshift over network.

• I have been looking into getting something, just not sure that I can afford it now. More important things going on right now. I'm sure that others can relate.

to save cost if you wish to record:

1. if you already have a memory card reader and memory card use that

2. if you already have an internal drive and a hdd enclosure try connecting

• So, before I went ahead and ordered another subscription I decided to confirm with my provider that if I were to get a 2 connection subscription, I would be able to record and watch something else at the same time, on the same device.

I was told that I was not and that I could get banned if the servers were to detect what I was doing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this something they can really detect?

• Official Post

Yes, if you have one subscription with one single connection and trying to watch on two boxes with same sub. on same time. Watching on box A, turning off, and continue watching on box B, is Ok.

• Yes, if you have one subscription with one single connection and trying to watch on two boxes with same sub. on same time. Watching on box A, turning off, and continue watching on box B, is Ok.

I was told by my provider that it's a 1 connection per box policy, and ended up getting kicked off for a bit when I was doing this.

I was also recently told that if I wanted to watch on 2 different boxes at same time I need 2 connection subscription, 1 connection per box.

I guess my original question was if the provider could tell if I was recording while watching something else?

Maybe I don't quite understanding how a multi-connection subscription works?

• Official Post

I was told by my provider that it's a 1 connection per box policy, and ended up getting kicked off for a bit when I was doing this.

Yes, you was banned because you used one single connection on two boxes at same time.

I was also recently told that if I wanted to watch on 2 different boxes at same time I need 2 connection subscription, 1 connection per box.

Correct, was also told in earlier posts.

I guess my original question was if the provider could tell if I was recording while watching something else?

Only with two connections on same sub.

Maybe I don't quite understanding how a multi-connection subscription works?

Explain -> RE: Record on 1 channel and watch another or using PiP

• Yes, you was banned because you used one single connection on two boxes at same time.

I never used 1 connection on 2 boxes at the same time. I only ever used 1 device or the other, but never at the same time.

As for the instructions to record and watch, I was also told that the subscription does not allow that specifically, and that it's 1 box 1 connection rule.

So to able to watch at same time on 2 boxes I need 2 connection, but I can't record on one and watch something else on the same box is what I was told.

Again, I have not yet purchased the 2 connection subscription, so I don't know what I'll get, whether it's 2 separate XC codes or 1 that will work on both devices, but my question is would they be able to detect if I did record while watching something else on the same device?