VOD on USB Disk

We asking all new users to read the articles below, before creating their first posting or thread.

• 4. Instruction Articles

• Please note, in this forum are only English threads and postings allowed, without any exception!

Please follow the forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

• Edit your post and write in English otherwise this thread will be deleted. Forum language is only English, with no exception!

Read Forum Rules -> https://www.formuler-support.tv/forum-rules-en/

• You cannot browse the USB disk with MOL2 to play media (yet).

Install the video/media player app that you like, for example VLC/MXPlayer/etc...

In these players you can browse to: Storage > sda1 > "your files/folders"

• What does a VOD mean?

Video on demand (VoD) is an interactive TV technology that allows subscribers to view programming in real time or download programs and view them later. A VoD system at the consumer level can consist of a standard TV receiver along with a set-top box.

For IPTV subs. like we using, there is no way to download and save such VOD content. Also, never hear before that this is with such boxes possible or provider allowed such feature like download and save.

• Thanks everyone. I guess I misunderstood. I thought Cool-ima had a VOD on a USB device that he was trying to watch through the Z8. I wasn't sure how he managed to get the VOD on the USB device in the first place. I knew you can't record it, but thought there was some other way so you could watch it off-line, like when you are on a plane or camping or something. But I guess that is not possible.

Thanks again, I am very new at all of this and I am trying to learn all I can, so some of my questions may be at the junior level.

• Normal video files like avi, mkv etc. can be saved on usb trough pc and watched with mediacenter or other app later on Z8. But VOD saving from sub on USB stick, not.

• what I really wanted to do was watch the movies (mkv, avi) that I have on a usb disk in the MyTVOnline application, like when I create a playlist there is the option to put VOD,

• I have the same need as cool-ima had in January, to watch the movies I have stored on a hard drive I dock to the Z8 through the USB on the left side. I follow what ddd recommends, to download the VLC player. But when I run the settings and try to choose what catalogs to include in the media library , it only responds with "internal memory" and the usb is not recognised. This was easy done with a Dreambox 10 years ago but with the fantastic z8, this simple task fails.

Any advice is much appreciated.

• Report your bug to VLC.

Use Kodi or Mx player and report your results.

Formuler doesn’t author every Android app in existence.

Unsolicited PMs for support will be ignored.

Duplicate support requests to the forums and helpdesk will be ignored.

• what I really wanted to do was watch the movies (mkv, avi) that I have on a usb disk in the MyTVOnline application, like when I create a playlist there is the option to put VOD,

I understand what you are asking to do.. theoretically manually making a M3U and setting the URL to file://folder/of/movie/file.avi or something like that might work, not sure what the folder structure would be to accecss usb from a url, if even possible. seems like an aweful lot of work to watch local content when you could just use kodi, emby or plex to do the same automatically.

• I do not think that VLC regards the inability between VLC and Z8 to communicate as a bug. Sorry to be such a novice but what psyc0n is recommending is to download kodi, plex and emby? I downloaded plex but they wanted a registration procedure so I quit as I thought they want me to have the movies in their cloud service. Just peculiar why the simple thing to upload a movie from a usb and play it can be a tricky thing in the worlds smartest mediaplayer. So smart it can not make the simplest thing?

• I do not think that VLC regards the inability between VLC and Z8 to communicate as a bug. Sorry to be such a novice but what psyc0n is recommending is to download kodi, plex and emby? I downloaded plex but they wanted a registration procedure so I quit as I thought they want me to have the movies in their cloud service. Just peculiar why the simple thing to upload a movie from a usb and play it can be a tricky thing in the worlds smartest mediaplayer. So smart it can not make the simplest thing?

It is not tricky just Install KODI, then under Pictures go to Videos. There you will see your media sources and be able to play your video files.

• I tried to use Kodi and granted Kodi to access my files but when tried to browse for the usb I choose "external storage" but when choosing that the internal directories of z8 came up.

I tried to use Plex and that was possible without time consuming registration but no way to choose the usb drive.

I should mention that the hard drive attached to the usb is recognised by the z8 under setting and storage. But no way to reach it with the z8 or the apps VLC, Kodi and Plex.

• And what says media center? For playing video files is media center enough. Should show your files from USB stick if properly formatted and recognised.